When you find that you are needing frequent water heater repairs or have an appliance that is 10 to 20 years old, it may be time to replace your water heater. Our water heater installers work in the Houston area to provide high-quality water heater services to ensure you never run out of hot water again. Our residential plumbing team can help you to select the best appliance for your home, whether that\’s a tankless water heater or a different type, to get you the best results.
When To Replace Your Water Heater
Water heaters are rarely fine one day and then deceased the next. There are usually warning signs that a water heater is on its last legs. The following are some of the most common signals that it’s nearing the end of its life.
- No hot water. Few things grab the attention of a homeowner more than a cold shower. Water that’s lukewarm is a surefire sign that the hot water heater is at the end of its life.
- Cloudy water or rusty water. The anode rod inside of your water heater is responsible for preventing the inside from rusting. Once that anode wears out, the inside of the water heater will rust, indicating that the end is indeed near.
- Rumbling or popping. No, those noises emanating from the basement aren’t from a monster lurking in the darkness. It’s a sign of something much worse–a dying water heater. As a hot water heater ages, minerals from hard water begin to build up inside of the tank, creating air pockets in the hot water that create popping noises as the air is released.
- Leaking. A mysterious pool of water near the hot water heater is a clear sign that cracks and fissures have formed in the tank, causing it to spring a leak. Since a leaking hot water heater can flood a basement, schedule to replace it immediately.
Types of Water Heaters
It\’s a good idea to know the different types of water heaters available before you purchase one:
- Conventional storage water heaters offer a ready reservoir (storage tank) of hot water which is adequate for everyday use. However, there are some instances, such as when more than one use for hot water is occurring or when there are guests in the home, increasing the requirements for hot water.
- Tankless or demand-type water heaters heat water directly without the use of a storage tank. This type of water heater is designed to provide an adequate supply of hot water without running out when adequately sized.
- Heat pump water heaters move heat from one place to another instead of generating heat directly for providing hot water, resulting in high efficiencies and significant cost savings.
- Solar water heaters use the sun\’s heat to provide hot water and also save money on energy bills.
- Tankless coil and indirect water heaters use a home\’s space heating system to heat water.
When selecting the best type and model of water heater for your home, consider the following:
- Fuel type, availability and cost. The fuel type or energy source you use for water heating will not only affect the water heater\’s annual operating costs but also its size and energy efficiency. See below for more on selecting fuel types.
- Size. To provide your household with adequate hot water and maximize efficiency, you need a properly sized water heater. Visit the pages on different types of water heaters (linked above) for more on sizing.
- Energy efficiency. To maximize energy and cost savings, check the energy efficiency of a water heater before you purchase it. Visit the pages on different types of water heaters (linked above) for more on estimating energy efficiency.
- Costs. Before you purchase a water heater, it\’s also a good idea to estimate the annual operating costs and compare those costs with other less or more energy-efficient models. Visit the pages on different types of water heaters (linked above) for more on estimating costs.
Also be sure to examine ways to reduce your hot water use, such as washing clothes in cold water. You may also want to explore other options such as drain-water heat recovery to save money on your water heating bill.
AAA Select Plumbing Services
Google Business Listing