Is your water heater old or dysfunctional? Are you unsure if it is the right time to replace your water heater tank or if you are just in need of a repair? This article will help you to learn more about your appliance so you can determine if it is time to repair or replace your unit.
How Long Does a Water Heater Last?
You can expect your hot water heater to last anywhere from 8 to 10 years, but its life expectancy can vary widely depending on many factors. Larger families place a higher demand on your water heater, which can shorten its lifespan. If you have hard water, then your system may accumulate sediment more quickly and wear down faster.
If your water heater is making strange noises, producing rusty water, or you have observed a lack of hot water supply before your unit reaches 8 years old, you may be able to have your issues corrected with a simple repair. Reach out to the team at Autumn Mechanical to learn more about the services we offer and to have your plumbing inspected.
What are the signs my water heater is failing or may need significant repair?
Sometimes water heaters can appear to be working fine and then fail without warning. Most times, though, there are early signs that your water heater may need help. Some of the more common red flags for possible water heater failure are:
- Visible corrosion – Corrosion is a sign that the water heater is breaking down. Whether the corrosion is around the water lines or on the unit itself, it is a sign of deterioration that can lead to weakening the system and contributing to the water heater failing.
- Water leaking – Leaks from any joints, seals, or seams of your hot water heater is usually an indication there is a problem (potentially caused by corrosion, as mentioned above). Hot water heaters are designed to be a “closed” system and any moisture outside of that system is an indication that something is breaking down. Water leaking can get worse and not only be damaging to the water heater itself, but potentially the area and things around it.
- Rust in your water – Rust in the water is usually a sign that the interior of the water heating system is corroding and breaking down.
- Lack of available hot water – Aging and poor maintenance can cause sediment to build up inside the tank in a way that reduces capacity. Chemicals and minerals in our water can contribute to the corrosion and breaking down of the inside of the tank. The sediment and particulates can then build up and reduce the available water to be heated and used by your home.
- Rumbling noises – Water heaters are designed to operate consistently, quietly, and reliably. If your water heater is making unusual noises, rumblings, or vibrations, it is likely straining to operate correctly. Very often rumbling can be attributed to a build-up of sediment on the bottom of the tank, which can lead to bigger problems. Any noises should be checked out.
Ignoring these issues can lead to sudden failure of the water heater, cold water, and in some cases, tank rupture and water damage to the floor and carpets. The other downside to sudden failure is that you may have to schedule an emergency replacement with the plumber, which can be more expensive, and typically limit your replacement options to inefficient models with high operating costs.
Call us today to schedule an appointment to inspect your water heater.
Affordable Plumbing Services Near Me
Autumn Mechanical — formerly Autumn Air delivers a single-point resource for mechanical contracting and service. Based in Spring, TX, Autumn Mechanical specializes in HVAC, plumbing, and refrigeration services. Serving customers in Houston, Dallas, and surrounding areas, our professional technicians serve with expertise and integrity.
With over 30 years of experience in the air conditioning and heating business, the team at Autumn Mechanical has built a trusted reputation throughout the communities of Houston. Our air conditioning services include, but are not limited to, residential/commercial AC and heating, repair, service, installation, maintenance, and heat pump equipment repair.
Whenever you are looking for high-quality air conditioning and heating services at a day affordable price, we can help! We service and replace both commercial and residential HVAC systems in order to bring you the ultimate climate control. Autumn Mechanical proudly serves the Greater Houston area, including Briarpark, Midtown, Sugar Land, Cypress, Pearland, The West University Place, The Heights, Spring, Willowbrook, Houston,Spring Branch, and The Woodlands. Don’t hesitate, give us a call today to find out what we can do for your home or business.
AAA Select Plumbing Services
View our Facebook Page
View our Google Business Listing